Tags on silk scarves often suggest dry cleaning. However, with care, you can hand wash your silk scarf with mild natural cleaning products and water:
- Add a tiny amount non alkaline shampoo to a basin of water below 86 degrees F.
- Soak silk scarf in the water for a few minutes.
- Gently lift the scarf and plunge it up and down in the water and then move the scarf against itself to wash.
- Place the scarf in a basin of cold water mixed with a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice.
- Swish the scarf gently and move it against itself to rinse. Turn the scarf over and repeat.
- Place the scarf on a towel and roll it and pat to remove the excess water. Do not wring or squeeze the rolled towel.
- Hang flat on a rack to air dry in a well ventilated area.
- Storing in area with mothballs.
- Storing your scarf with perspiration on it. Wash and dry it first.