Tags on silk scarves often suggest dry cleaning. However, with care, you can hand wash your silk scarf with mild cleaning products and water.
What you'll need
You'll need two containers of water at a temperature below 86 degrees Fahrenheit and a clean towel.
- Soak your silk scarf in the shampoo and water container for a few minutes.
- Gently lift the scarf and plunge it up and down in the water and then move the scarf against itself to wash. Do not wring.
- Place your scarf in the vinegar/lemon and water container.
- Swish the scarf gently and move it against itself to rinse.
- Turn the scarf over and repeat.
- Place the scarf on a towel, roll it, and gently pat to remove the excess water. Do not wring, twist, or squeeze the rolled towel.
- Unroll the towel and remove the scarf.
- Lay the scarf flat on a rack to air dry in a well ventilated area.
- Never use bleach to clean your scarves.
- Never store scarves in an area with mothballs.
- Never store your scarf with perspiration on it. Always wash your scarf first.